Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Jesus Had No Penis

Now before you read that heading and call my wife to have her pull the plug on my computer, you must know that I'm only referencing what one denomination is saying. I'm merely paraphrasing the possibly-soon-to-be-adopted policy within the Presbyterian USA denomination allowing local congregations the option of stripping any language of the Trinity of male-gender references. Instead of Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the triune Godhead could even be referred to as "Mother, Child and Womb."

Many churches are dangerously promoting a low-view of scripture, which elevates the authority of man's thoughts and feelings over that of God and his Holy Revelation in and of the Word, Jesus Christ. If anyone starts whining about their feelings being hurt or a socially imposed lack of self-esteem, these churches will dump loads of perceived grace while starving people of truth. Ever been in Wal-Mart and seen a child who's been given every toy and treat but no boundaries or discipline? The kids are bratty, spoiled, and still have low self-esteem.

John 1 says that Jesus came full of grace and truth. And it was Jesus who took on the titles Son of God, Son of Man, Prince of Peace, and King of the Jews. He addressed God as Father and referred to Him as such. Jesus' language never foreshadowed a gender-neutral translation of the scriptures, but clearly used masculine pronouns when referring to the Father and the Holy Spirit. Did Jesus take on the names Child of God, Beautiful Person of Man, Princess Pony or Queen of the Desert? The Presbyterians might was well write "Wonder Woman" on the tag in the back of all Jesus' undies.

Here is what I'm not saying: I am not saying God hates women. I am not saying that God loves women any less than men. I'm not saying men should in any way be elevated above women. What I am saying is that while men and women are equals, God differentiates between roles. And when choosing what role to reveal himself in, He chose to identify Himself as a man, penis and all.

I guess it's no surprise that the PCUSA is not only dealing with the revelation of God Himself, but also as He chose to reveal Himself in the marriage between a man and woman -- they are also currently voting on a policy to allow congregations the right to ordain gay ministers.

God wrote a pretty long personal ad. We should read it as if He really wants to be who He said He is. Let's pray for the leaders of the PCUSA to surrender to God and His revelation of Himself.

2 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger Some Random Girl said...

well....women were created second. Hmmmm....why must people be so intent on changing God and Jesus? I think it's just silly.

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not anonymous, I just can't get my #$#& blogger account to work!

Rachelle here, abbess of Monkfish Abbey.

Jesus pretty clearly had a penis, but I'm not so sure God does.

Jesus was a historical figure, a male, who refered to himself as the Son of God and the Son of Man.

Being the "son" of someone, doesn't require that the parent be the Father, just the parent.

Jesus did refer to God as 'Father', but I often wonder how much the time and culture impacted his language? If his goal was to convey the idea of a God who had authority and power, using the feminine would do him little good -- for in a culture that regarded women as on-par with cattle, describing God as "Mother" wouldn't have helped Jesus' message much!

In an effort to acknowledge the scriptural truth that we are ALL made "in God's image" -- both men and women -- I use the following phrase to discribe the Godhead:

"God the Creator, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit."

I also refer to the Holy Spirit as "she." Both of these things help my children (both girls), myself, and the people at the abbey to see ourselves as made "in God's image".

Just my two cents...

Ps. I actually have a t-shirt that says "God doesn't have a penis." It's fun to wear it. It sparks a lot of great discussion!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home